Landscape Construction Labourer
Reports to: Construcrtion Site Foreman
A self-motivated labourer that assists project Forman with the daily task of implementing a landscape design.
Landscape Labourers will be responsible for performing a variety of work tasks (general physical labour) in order to assist with the completion of landscape construction projects.
Duties and responsibilities
There are three levels of Landscape Labourer; General Labourer, Labourer Level 1 and Labourer Level 2. The labourer performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:⦁
- General Labourer: An entry level position for someone who has very little landscaping experience or none. You must be physically capable to work in a safe and responsible way.
- Assist foreman and crew in executing construction projects, helping to complete job(s) within project deadlines.
- Maintain Site organization and cleanliness and proper tool storage.
- Maintain Jobsite Safety and wear PPE
- Perform all tasks required to complete a landscape project including; digging, using shovels & pick axes, use wheel barrows to move material.
- Take direction and assist other members of their crew efficiently.
- Learn how to meet standards and review individual tasks with foreman ensuring quality workmanship is met.
Labourer Level I: A position for someone with one year of landscaping experience. You know how to perform the responsibilities and have achieved the expectations of the General Labour position.
- Perform all the responsibilities of a General Labourer. Complete all activities efficiently, using proper procedures and demonstrating safe work practices.
- Proper planting procedures.
- Rough grading, ensure proper depth of soil & mulches, and that plants do not get buried.
- Installation of landscape fabric. Ensure that landscape fabric is cut around the plants and all areas are entirely covered with the fabric.
- Installation of turf grass, making sure seams are tight and rows are offset and minimize any waste.
- Installation of drainage pipe and pits. Demonstrate proper installation of pipe (slope for drainage) and drain pit is large enough.
- Know how to operate all power tools and equipment. Ensure safe work practices and proper safety equipment is worn. All tools and equipment are stored and put away properly.
- Show initiative and learn additional installation procedures and landscaping techniques, Such as patio pavers and retaining walls.
Labourer Level II: Is someone who has landscape experience for more than two years and has some understanding of landscape installation processes. You know how to perform the responsibilities and have achieved the expectations of both a General Labourer and Labourer Level #I. You have some knowledge in retaining wall construction and brick pavers’ installation.
- Installation of multiple irrigation zones. Proper installation of multiple zone system with proper placement of heads and emitters.
- Establish finished grades for proper drainage and smooth surfaces. Apply proper depth of soil, mulch or rock mulch ensuring plants do not get buried.
- Operate additional power tools and equipment and maintain proper care and storage of these items.
- Assist in established grades for walls and patios. Know sub and finished grades. Help use equipment (ie. string lines, site transit…) and move material to achieve grade. Know proper depths of base materials for retaining walls and patios
- Assist and learn how to install brick pavers, retaining walls, and flagstone with supervisory assistance.
- Learn additional installation procedures and landscaping techniques. Demonstrate knowledge and confidence in establishing grades, installing patios and building retaining walls. Take initiative to learn more about landscaping, ie. plant identification, irrigation, reading a drawing….
Trucks Trailers and Equipment
- Learn to Operate all tools and equipment safely and efficiently.
- Secure loads on trucks and trailers.
- Tool trailers are kept clean and organized using the (5S’s)
- Report any damage and equipment failures and or take in to be repaired.
- Be friendly and courteous at all times.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, class 3 an asset
- Physically fit with strong stamina
- Speak, read, and write English.
- From no experience to 3 years’ experience in the landscape/construction industry
- Capable of operating required equipment and tools in a safe and responsible manner
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Customer and quality focus, detail oriented
- Work near heavy equipment and other vehicles on a regular basis
- Flexible working hours including occasional weekend work.
- Responsibility and dependability
- Ethics and integrity
- Able to perform a long list of physical work and lift 50 lbs. repeatedly throughout the work shift.
- Ability to work outdoors in different weather conditions, cold temperatures for extended periods perhaps, as well as being in hot temperatures. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent stamina is required.
Landscape workers on their crew will report to site foreman