Landscape Construction Lead hand
Reports to: Construction Foreman
A self-motivated Lead hand that assists project Forman with the daily task of implementing a landscape design.
Landscape Construction Lead hands are responsible for assisting the foreman in organizing, planning, and overseeing daily tasks associated with their projects. They can perform most tasks with minimal supervision and help direct others to perform their tasks safely and with clear direction and timely outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Lead hand performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
Manage Jobsite Production
- Assist foreman in managing employees and executing construction projects, helping to complete job(s) within project deadlines
- Help determine the resources (time, materials, equipment, etc) required to complete the project. on a daily and weekly basis
- Maintain Site organization and cleanliness.
- Enforce Jobsite Safety and that PPE are being used
- Read and interpret blueprints, structural drawings, and specifications assisting the Foreman that the landscape design is followed and overall design goals are achieved
- Perform all tasks required to complete a landscape project including establishing grades, build natural and block retaining walls, paving stone installations and paver edging, irrigation design and rebuild, plant and garden bed layouts, low voltage lighting, water features, rock placement, large tree plantings and other aspects of landscaping.
- Quality Control
- Ensure “Best Practices” are being followed to all aspects of the landscape to ensure high quality of service is being provided. Attention to DETAIL is what makes us stand out from others.
- Ensure the jobsite, new landscape and neighbouring properties are perfectly clean
- Continuously train and help improve employee performance regarding safety procedures, safe operation of equipment and installation procedures using Best Practices. Inform management of any discrepancies regarding employee capabilities.
- Assist with the on-boarding process of new employees.
- Inform management of any discrepancies regarding employee capabilities
- Comply with all company policies and follow company systems to achieve success.
Trucks Trailers and Equipment
- Be able to Operate all tools and equipment safely and efficiently.
- Be able drive trucks and pull, secure load trailers.
- Tool trailers are clean and organized (5S’s)
- Trucks are washed and inside wiped clean once per month and truck boxes are empty and the inside is free of garbage daily.
- Perform preventative maintenance on tools and equipment by conducting inspections, lubricating, and cleaning on a daily basis.
- Equipment, skid steer, excavators’ daily maintenance procedures are followed, and forms filled out
- Report any damage and equipment failures and or take in to be repaired.
- Be friendly and courteous at all times.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Horticultural Diploma an asset Horticultural background and /or certification
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, class 3 an asset
- First Aid certified.
- Speak, read, and write English.
Specialized Knowledge: Knowledge of some plants, irrigation, and equipment operation.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the landscape/construction industry
- Capable of operating required equipment and tools in a safe and responsible manner
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Time management skills
- Excellent observation skills and a strong attention to detail, organized.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications.
- Knowledge of specific materials, installation methods, tools and equipment required to complete various landscape/construction practices
- Customer and quality focus, detail oriented
- A Leader, effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Responsibility and dependability
- Ethics and integrity
- Able to perform a long list of physical work and lift 50 lbs. repeatedly throughout the work shift.
- Ability to work outdoors in different weather conditions, cold temperatures for extended periods perhaps, as well as being in hot temperatures. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent stamina is required.
- Work near heavy equipment and other vehicles on a regular basis
- Flexible working hours including occasional weekend work.
Direct reports: Landscape workers on their crew will report to Foreman